The social media platform Twitter has 302 million active monthly users. Roughly 500 million tweets of opinions, selfies and hashtagged statuses are sent into the Twittersphere every day.

Social media platforms bring businesses an opportunity to market freely and reap potentially big benefits. Sometimes it's hard to believe that Twitter could be a way forward for a business looking to grow, so let's take a look at the cold hard facts.


Your business needs Twitter

1. Twitter plays an active role in purchasing decisions (Source: 10 Essential Twitter Stats [Data] Hubspot)

People use Twitter to share their opinions on products and services given by businesses across the globe.

42% of Twitter users rely on the information they come across on the platform, to learn about products or services.

What could they be tweeting about your business? Twitter users can become promoters of your business, simply by sharing their delight on their Twitter timeline.

What could they be learning about your services by following your Twitter business account? If these users are sourcing information and looking to become educated, why not help them by distributing helpful content.

Make sure that you are the business that comes to mind when they are making their purchase decision.

[Tweet "Did you know? Twitter plays an active role in purchasing decisions | #TwitterTips"]

2. 67% of Twitter users are more likely to buy brands that they follow

Are your potential customers following your competitors on Twitter? Without a Twitter account, you're missing out on all these potential customers!

3. Companies that use Twitter average 2x more leads per month than those that do not

Are you ready to be gaining on average 2x more sales leads than non-Twitter users? The solution to missing those leads is simple, create a business Twitter account and start to optimise the profile with keywords and relevant information!

Remember: Correctly optimised social media profiles can show up in search results.

4. You can provide instant customer service

Why Your Business Needs TwitterNobody likes to call a customer service number. This is usually because you'll be greeted by tedious music and a robotic voice informing you that you're last in the queue. What could be more frustrating than heading down this dull path, after experiencing a problem with a product or service?

A great example of a business going above and beyond for a customer is, of course, the Virgin Trains' loo roll incident. 16-year-old Adam Greenwood was travelling from Euston to Glasgow, when he realised there was no toilet paper left in the loo!

He tweeted for help and the business responded immediately, sending a well-dressed employee with a roll of toilet paper to the rescue. The incident, being public and amusing, blew up on social media - giving Virgin Trains a great promotion boost.

An elaborate example, but there's no doubt the fact remains the same. People will always appreciate a quick response and solution to their problem.

5. 47% of people who follow a brand on Twitter are more likely to visit that company's website (Stat source: Expandedramblings.com)

Sharing insightful infographics on your business Twitter account, is just one way to drive traffic to your website.

6. 85% of followers feel more connected with a small business after following them

Connect with your ideal clients on Twitter. Entertain and educate your followers to build rapport and long-lasting business to customer relationships.

[Tweet "Did you know? 85% of followers feel more connected with a business they are following | #TwitterTips"]

7. Tweets that include links are 86% more likely to be retweeted (Stat source: Bufferapp)

Share your content to followers and amplify your reach through retweets and favourites. Add a relevant link to your tweet to encourage general engagement or drive traffic to your website.

Which link shortener should you use for Twitter?

Tip: When in doubt, use the 80/20 content sharing rule. 80% of your content should be helpful and valuable to your audience. The other 20% can be self-promotional.

This rule keeps a nice balance for your followers. Social media isn't just another tool to bombard your audience with old-school sales tactics!

8. 70% of small businesses are on Twitter (Stat source: Search Engine People)

You can discover essential tips on Twitter's small business blog. 93% of marketers use social media as part of their digital marketing strategy. Don't be the business that's left behind and forgotten, utilise free social media platforms to promote, engage and grow your business.

Find out more:

Start your Twitter adventure now by downloading our FREE 'Tweeting 4 Twits' Guide!

Don't be a twit on twitter download simple tips for absolute beginners